I know what some of you may be thinking. No, this smoothie won’t get you buzzed.
This is the first smoothie recipe I’ve posted containing hemp; so let’s take a look at why hemp is a great addition to your smoothies.
Hemp Health Benefits
A complete protein, rich in essential fatty acids omega-6 and omega-3, and a variety of vitamins and minerals, hemp is a bona fide superfood. Hemp contains many B vitamins, vitamins A, D and E, calcium, iron and is a good source of dietary fiber. Here’s a quick list of the top health benefits attributed to hemp.
- Brain & Heart health (thanks to high amount of essential fatty acids)
- Improved digestion
- Weight loss (hemp is a natural appetite suppressant)
- Healthy skin
- Boosted immune function
For your smoothies, you can purchase hemp protein powder or shelled hemp seeds. The seeds are mild with a slight nutty flavor. Besides smoothies, hemp seeds are also good in salads and homemade trail mixes.
This is a simple hemp smoothie recipe – feel free to incorporate some of the suggested add-ons or anything else that sounds good to you. Enjoy!
Banana Hemp Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I used almond)
- 1 medium banana (optionally frozen)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, hemp protein powder, or both
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- A little honey, stevia, or maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 1 serving green superfood powder
Add all of the ingredients into your blender and blend on high until desired consistency is reached.
- Calories: 252
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 10g
- Sugar: 15g
- Vitamin A: 12% RDA
- Vitamin C: 17% RDA
- Calcium: 34% RDA
- Iron: 20% RDA
I would love to know if you try this banana hemp smoothie – please leave a comment below. Happy Blending!