If I was stranded on an island and could only eat one thing, it would be chocolate smoothies. Who doesn’t love chocolate? It’s the feel good food. To be clear, the kind of chocolate I’m referring to is the raw form, or cacao. Standard store bought chocolate syrups and powders will quickly turn a healthy smoothie into a junk food drink.
Raw chocolate is a nutrient dense superfood. Below are some of main reasons why.
- Higher on the antioxidant scale (ORAC rating) than blueberries and acai berry
- Flavonols in cacao shown to benefit the brain
- Good for the heart and cardiovascular system
- High mineral content (excellent source of Magnesium)
If you weren’t already, hopefully now you’re sold on cacao; so let’s get to the smoothie recipe. Enjoy!
Chocolate Lovers Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 avocado, seed removed
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cacao nibs (optional)
- A dash of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey to sweeten (substitute stevia or maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut shreds or flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon maca
- 1 serving of your favorite (preferably chocolate) protein powder
Place all the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high for 30-45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Calories: 285
- Fat: 18g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sugar: 18g
- Vitamin A: 10% RDA
- Vitamin C: 17% RDA
- Calcium: 32% RDA
- Iron: 13% RDA
I would love to know if you try this chocolate lovers smoothie – please leave a comment below. Happy Blending!
For more information and actual research studies on the health benefits of cacao, click here.