Warning, a party may break out in your mouth when you consume this smoothie! It’s that delicious. I think most people are familiar with the health benefits attributed to strawberries and bananas (if not, do a quick Google search); so let’s give our full attention to coconut oil.
Coconut oil is a legitimate superfood with a myriad of health promoting properties. Don’t get scared away by unfounded attacks and “all fat is bad” fanatics. Here’s a quick rundown of why coconut oil is good for you.
- Strengthens immune system
- Increases metabolism (thus aids in weight loss)
- Improves digestion
- Beneficial for the heart
- Boosts key mineral absorption (calcium and magnesium)
- Antifungal and antibacterial
- Provides long lasting energy
- Great for skin and hair (internally and topically)
If you feel the need to learn more about coconut oil, there are several great books on the subject at Amazon. Or check out my article on the numerous health benefits of coconuts and coconut oil by clicking here.
Add coconut oil to your smoothies for extra creaminess and super-nutrition. Enjoy!
Strawberry and Coconut Oil Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk (water works too)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- A dash of high quality salt
- 1 serving of your favorite protein powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder or nibs
Place all the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth. If you don’t have a very powerful blender and your coconut oil is in liquid form, you might want to blend everything except the coconut oil first, then drizzle it on and blend for another 5-10 seconds to avoid clumping.
- Calories: 341
- Fat: 18g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 29g
- Vitamin A: 10% RDA
- Vitamin C: 158% RDA
- Calcium: 48% RDA
- Iron: 9% RDA
Feedback on this recipe will bring a big smile to my face, but not as big as drinking this smoothie does :) Happy Blending!