Tropical fruit, flax seeds, and Greek yogurt combine for one delicious and highly nutritious smoothie.
This may seem like an odd combination of ingredients for a smoothie, at least it did for me, which is why I put off making this dude for a while. Big mistake. I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty, and creamy, this smoothie turned out.
Here are a few of the health benefits you can expect from chugging down this smoothie:
- Kiwis are high in vitamin C (antioxidants), fiber (good digestion), and potassium (cardiovascular health).
- Mangoes are loaded with an array vitamins and minerals that support good digestion, are high in antioxidants, protect against certain cancers, and offer anti-inflammatory properties.
- Flax seeds are the star ingredient of this smoothie and a borderline superfood in my book because of the following. They help balance cholesterol levels, are anti-cancerous, anti-inflammatory, are good for heart health, help with diabetes, boost the immune system, and are high in antioxidants, dietary fiber, and the all important omega-3 fats.
- Greek yogurt is high in protein, calcium, and probiotics (think healthy gut flora), and lends a rich creaminess to your smoothie, perhaps its best attribute.
And there you have it, an antioxidant powerhouse, fiber packed, nutrient dense smoothie perfect for breakfast or as a meal replacement. Incorporate a few of my suggested add-ons or other goodies you have around your kitchen to take the nutrition up a notch or two. Enjoy!
Kiwi Mango Flax Seed Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 2 kiwis, skin removed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango chunks
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt (preferably full-fat)
- A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen papaya chunks
- 1/2 fresh or frozen banana
- 3-5 ice cubes
- 1 cup spinach or kale for a green smoothie
Load all the ingredients into your high speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until your desired consistency is reached.
- Calories: 281
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sugar: 26g
- Vitamin C: 264% RDA
- Vitamin K: 75% RDA
- Calcium: 18% RDA
- Iron: 8% RDA
Let me know what you think of this tasty kiwi mango flax seed smoothie by leaving a comment below. Happy Blending!