Greens and the wonderful superfood aloe vera combine for one super healthy smoothie.
Most people are familiar with using aloe vera topically. It’s great for burns, sunburn, rashes, acne, poison ivy, and a host of other skin conditions.
But the real magic and health benefits of aloe are experienced by those who consume it.
The gel of raw aloe contains a bevy of vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, fiber, amino acids, enzymes, and the all important polysaccharides.
Polysaccharides are carbohydrates, or long chain sugar molecules, responsible for the following health benefits:
- Joint, brain, nervous system, and skin lubrication
- Great for the digestive system and helpful for a range of digestive issue
- Slow burning, long lasting, steady energy source
- Boosts your immune system, in particular to fend off viral, bacterial, and fungal infections
The super nutrient profile of aloe helps with weight loss, reducing inflammation, heart disease, diabetes, and is anti-cancerous. Aloe vera also help you stay hydrated, is good for your kidneys, and supports the liver’s production of the powerful antioxidant glutathione.
Aloe is truly a beautifying and health promoting superfood, for your inside and out.
Freshly filleted aloe is your best bet, but store bought gels and liquids are good too.
Aloe is also easy to grow and great to have on hand should you burn yourself, run through a patch of poison ivy, or if you feel like blending up a delicious aloe vera smoothie. The latter being my top reason for having an aloe plant around the house.
Supergreen Aloe Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1 small aloe vera leaf, filleted (about 1/3 cup fresh aloe)
- 1/3 avocado
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- A dash of Celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey (substitute maple syrup or stevia)
- 1 serving of you preferred green superfood (Boku, Vitamineral Green, Ormus Supergreens, etc) powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flax, hemp, or chia seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cacao powder or nibs
- 1 serving of your preferred protein powder
- Anything you have on hand that sounds good
Place all of the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth.
- Calories: 275
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 24g
- Vitamin A: 10% RDA
- Vitamin C: 37% RDA
- Vitamin K: 216% RDA
- Calcium: 5% RDA
- Iron: 12% RDA
I’d love to know if you tried this supergreen aloe smoothie – please do tell in the comments below. Happy Blending!