My foray into the wonderful world of kombucha began last summer and has now come full circle with my first kombucha smoothie!
For those that don’t know, kombucha is a fermented tea. It’s teaming with probiotics or friendly bacteria, which are increasingly getting more attention because of how important they are not only for digestion, but overall health.
Kombucha has a long history of use, in fact, the ancient Chinese went as far as labeling it “Immortal Health Elixir”.
Here are a few of the key health benefits associated with this bubbly fermented beverage.
- Increased metabolism and energy
- Improved digestion
- Headache and migraine relief
- Alkalizing effect on the body
- Helps rebuild connective tissues
- Detoxification of the liver
- Helps clear up candida & yeast infections
- Improved eyesight
- Reduced blood pressure
- Gray hair reduction
If you don’t like the taste of kombucha, try “hiding” it in a smoothie.
Store bought kombucha is good, but somewhat pricey and not as healthy as homemade. Making it yourself really isn’t that tough. Here’s a good how to make kombucha video.
I made the version of this smoothie minus ice cubes and it was a little runny. If you like nice, thick, creamy smoothies either include ice cubes or 1/2 banana. Enjoy!
Blueberry Coconut Kombucha Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup kombucha (homemade or store bought – I like GT’s Kombucha)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 heaping tablespoon chia seeds or chia seed gel
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes or shreds
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey (substitute maple syrup or stevia)
- 3-6 ice cubes (optional)
- 1/3 avocado for a thicker, creamier smoothie
- 1/4 inch ginger, peeled and minced or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 cup additional fresh or frozen berries
Place all of the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth.
- Calories: 310
- Fat: 320g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 19g
- Vitamin A: 1% RDA
- Vitamin C: 13% RDA
- Calcium: 6% RDA
- Iron: 12% RDA
I’d love to know if you tried this blueberry coconut kombucha smoothie – please do tell in the comments below. Happy Blending!
Comments are closed.