Start your day proper with this delicious and highly nutritious chocolate oatmeal smoothie. Yes, you can have chocolate for breakfast!
Oatmeal is a popular and healthy breakfast option. You can take your oatmeal to a whole new level of flavor and nutrition by blending with a few choice ingredients. One of those ingredients being one of my all-time favorites, cacao, or raw chocolate.
Before we get to the recipe let’s take a look at some of the top health benefits of oatmeal:
- Immune system booster
- Full of antioxidants
- Supports a healthy heart
- Stabilizes blood sugar
- Lowers cholesterol
- High in fiber
- Excellent source of magnesium
For maximum digestion and nutrient assimilation you must properly prepare your oats. Please don’t skip this preparation. Here’s a quick step by step for properly preparing your oatmeal:
- Soak 1 cup rolled oats in 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons acid (lemon juice, liquid whey, apple cider vinegar, or yogurt) for about 8 hours. Soaking overnight is convenient.
- Add another cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to soaked oats, stir, heat to a low simmer, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Consume with liberal amounts of butter and cream or toss into a smoothie.
To save time prepare 2-3 cups at once and refrigerate for use over the next week or two.
For those of you that don’t know I have a serious weakness for chocolate. I just can’t seem to keep it out of my smoothies no matter how hard I try :) Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Chocolate Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2 cup raw milk or nut milk of choice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (soaked and cooked)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or powder
- 1/2 tablespoon honey (substitute maple syrup or stevia)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoon grass-fed butter
- 1/2 cup strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or any other berry
Place all of the ingredients into your blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth.
- Calories: 372
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 10g
- Sugar: 22g
- Vitamin A: 5% RDA
- Vitamin C: 28% RDA
- Calcium: 28% RDA
- Iron: 6% RDA
I’d love to know if you try this chocolate oatmeal smoothie and how you liked it. Please leave a comment below. Happy Blending!