The unique flavor of cilantro has the ability to liven up any dish or smoothie. I got some beautiful cilantro from my local farm this past week and had to blend up an equally beautiful green smoothie.
Also known as coriander, this wonderful herb with fantastic flavor offers much in the way of health benefits. Many herbs and spices such as cilantro pack a higher concentration and wider variety of antioxidants than common fruits and veggies. This means more effective free radical scavenging in your body.
Cilantro is perhaps best known for its ability to cleanse and remove heavy metals like mercury from the body. Chemical compounds in cilantro bind to heavy metals, loosen them from your tissues, and usher them out of your body in the process known as chelation.
Here are a few other noteworthy health benefits of consuming cilantro:
- A good source of the minerals potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium
- Rich in healthy bone supporting vitamin K
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Helps reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol
- Helps improve sleep quality
- Anti-anxiety effects
- Antibacterial and anti-fungal action
To really experience the benefits of herbs and spices incorporate small amounts of them into your diet on a daily basis.
Below is your basic cilantro smoothie. I find a little cilantro plays a great supporting role in green smoothies featuring spinach and kale. Play with the add-ons or toss whatever you have on hand into your blender and create your own unique masterpiece. Enjoy!
Cilantro Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 3 ice cubes
- 1 fresh or frozen medium banana
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- A dash of Celtic sea salt or other high quality salt
- A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten (optional)
- 1 cup spinach, kale, or other leafy green
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 serving of your preferred green superfood powder
Place all of the ingredients into your high speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth.
- Calories: 171
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 15g
- Vitamin A: 13% RDA
- Vitamin C: 32% RDA
- Calcium: 2% RDA
- Iron: 7% RDA
I’d love to know if you tried and enjoyed this cilantro smoothie – please do tell in the comments below. Happy Blending!