This delicious and nutritious smoothie recipe was concocted for all the coffee and smoothie lovers out there.
Health experts can’t seem to agree on whether coffee is healthy or not. I believe in bio-individuality, meaning for some people coffee is great, while for others it’s not so good.
There’s a reason many indigenous cultures across the globe have sought out caffeine bearing plants. Caffeine, like alcohol, has been shown to extend lifespan, but only when consumed in moderation.
Here are a few of the health benefits coffee has to offer.
- Improved Mood
- Better Concentration
- Increased Athletic Performance
- Reduced Muscle Pain
- Antioxidant Rich
- Diabetes Prevention
- Helps prevent Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
- Asthma Relief
- Aids Digestion
I personally have never been much of a coffee drinker, but I do like to use it in my smoothies every once in a while. If you find you really like coffee smoothies, feel free to substitute it in for whatever liquid other recipes call for.
You can take this smoothie in one of two directions. For more of a drink or latte, don’t add a thickener such as chia seeds, ice cubes, or a banana. If you want a creamy smoothie, use one of the aforementioned thickening ingredients. Enjoy!
Coffee Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2 cup coffee, warm or chilled
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used almond)
- 3 tablespoons cashews
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon honey (substitute maple syrup or stevia)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or chia seed gel
- 1 fresh or frozen medium banana
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes or shreds
- 1 serving of your preferred protein powder
Place all of the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth.
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 19g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 10g
- Vitamin A: 5% RDA
- Vitamin C: 0% RDA
- Calcium: 18% RDA
- Iron: 17% RDA
I’d love to know if you try this coffee smoothie – please do tell in the comments below. Happy Blending!