Aloe vera is a bona fide superfood with a laundry list of health promoting benefits. It’s not the most pleasant tasting substance on its own, but blend it into a smoothie with the right ingredients and you’re left with a tasty, nutrient-dense, super drink.
Aloe vera has a long history of use dating all the way back to 1500 B.C. where the Egyptians recorded using it to treat burns, infections and parasites. Topical uses for aloe vera are more commonly known, but since we’re going to consume it in our smoothies let’s focus on the health benefits from internal use.
Aloe vera gel is made up of water, 20 minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids, and 200 active plant compounds or phytonutrients. Quite impressive, as are the myriad health benefits attributed to aloe vera.
Health benefits of aloe vera gel:
- Boosts immune function
- Powerful anti-inflammatory
- Great for skin health
- Accelerates recovery after exercise
- Potent antioxidant
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Alleviates joint and muscle pain
- Boosts physical endurance
- Stabilizes blood sugar in diabetics
- Helps lower high cholesterol
- Excellent for digestion, and been shown to alleviate and even cure acid reflux, ulcers, IBS, Crohn’s and Celiac disease
- Eliminates constipation
The amount of gel you get from filleting fresh aloe leaves will vary. I typically shoot for about 1/2 cup. Feel free to use more or less depending on your preferences.
Awesome Aloe Vera Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup of coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 medium aloe vera leaf, filleted (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango chunks
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 serving protein powder of your choice
- 1/4 cup coconut shreds or flakes
Place all of the ingredients into your blender and blend on high until smooth.
Please leave a comment below if you try this smoothie recipe and find it as refreshing as I do.
For more information on aloe vera and all its goodness, click here.