This smoothie exemplifies one of my favorite aspects of smoothies. Creating an absolutely delicious drink containing a number of healthy ingredients that you wouldn’t normally consume individually, unless you like to gag :)
Turmeric is a “super spice” in my book, with health benefits that are vast and various. While I’ve been cooking with it for years, I just recently started adding it into my smoothies, with much success.
Here’s why “hiding” a little turmeric in your smoothies is such a great idea.
- Potent Anti-Inflammatory – At the root of most health issues you’ll find inflammation, whose reduction goes along way in alleviating symptoms.
- Aids Weight Loss – By helping increase the flow of bile, an important factor in digesting dietary fat. Also helps the liver detoxify.
- Anti-Cancerous Properties – Turmeric helps prevent and destroy cancer cells.
- Powerful Antioxidant – Potent free-radical quencher.
- Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Viral, and Anti-Fungal – Perfect when colds or the flu strike.
- Skin Health – Promotes healthy skin and can reduce skin problems.
- Helps With – Turmeric has been implicated in helping relieve and stave off: Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, asthma, cancer, diabetes, and depression.
Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric responsible for much of its health promoting properties, in case you were curious.
Turmeric has a slightly bitter taste. By blending it with sweet fruit and/or a sweetener and not using a ton, you won’t even notice it in your smoothie. I used turmeric from a spice bottle, but fresh turmeric will work just as well. Enjoy!
Tropical Turmeric Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- A dash of sea salt
- A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup coconut shreds/flakes
- 1 tablespoon maca
Simply place all of the ingredients into your blender and blend away for around 30-45 seconds or until your desired consistency is achieved.
Let me know what you think of this tasty tropical turmeric smoothie by leaving a comment below. Happy Blending!