I have a confession to make, I’m addicted to coconut shreds.
Those sweetened little flakes of goodness don’t last long in my kitchen. It seems every smoothie I make is a perfect candidate for their inclusion, and not just a tablespoon or two, but a good half cup. They add a little gritty, chewy, sweetness that I’ve come to love.
Coconut products are a staple in my smoothies, and diet. In case you aren’t aware of their myriad health benefits, or just need a quick refresher, allow me to highlight this superfood with the following bullet points:
- Monounsaturated fats found in coconut don’t readily store as body fat, but rather burn up quickly for energy
- Aids weight loss (how may fat native tropical islanders do you know?)
- Excellent for skin and hair
- Antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral
- Supports a healthy heart
- Boosts the immune system
- Improves digestion and absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and amino acids
- Good source of antioxidants
- Boosts absorption of calcium and magnesium
Besides consuming copious amounts of coconut products, I also use coconut oil liberally on my skin, hair, and as an aftershave. Here’s a quick recipe for you.
Combine 3 parts coconut oil with 1 part cacao butter using a double boiler with low heat. This makes for a great hair gel and aftershave. This concoction can also be used as a lotion, although it can be a bit oily, so you’ll want to rub off after 20 minutes or so. Experiencing a little sun burn? Apply this mixture, or another of my favorite superfoods, aloe vera.
Fortunately, my local food co-op is usually stocked with organic coconut shreds and they’re rather inexpensive. I prefer the thin shreds over the thicker flakes.
This smoothie is pretty basic (the ginger does add a nice zing); so I encourage you to incorporate a few of the suggested add-ons and/or anything you have on hand. I ended up adding coconut oil, maca, cacao powder, and protein powder to my smoothie. The result, a big party in my mouth :)
Now get your coconut on and enjoy this smoothie!
Coconut Ginger Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup young Thai coconut water or regular coconut water
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup coconut shreds or flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger spice or fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon cacao powder
- Meat from a young Thai coconut
- 1 serving of your preferred protein powder
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Place the ingredients into your high speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until your desired consistency is reached.
- Calories: 347
- Fat: 28g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 13g
- Sugar: 9g
- Vitamin A: 0% RDA
- Vitamin C: 28% RDA
- Calcium: 8% RDA
- Iron: 11% RDA
Please leave a comment below if you try this delicious coconut ginger smoothie. Happy Blending!