Kombucha has become my fermented beverage of choice lately. I make my own because it’s easy and affordable.
A few weeks ago my brother had me try GT’s Kombucha Gingerade – oh my was it tasty! The ginger flavor was over the top delicious. My regular old kombucha didn’t seem so special after all ;)
In order to capture that ginger goodness I double fermented my next kombucha brew with fresh ginger. It wasn’t quite as gingery as GT’s, but very good nevertheless.
This smoothie recipe is the result of my recent infatuation with ginger and kombucha, two things that combine to offer a bevy of health benefits.
Here’s a quick health benefits hit list for kombucha:
- Increased metabolism and energy
- Improved digestion
- Headache and migraine relief
- Alkalizing effect on the body
- Helps rebuild connective tissues
- Detoxification of the liver
- Helps clear up candida & yeast infections
- Reduced blood pressure
- Reduced gray hair
What ginger has to offer:
- Anti-Inflammatory action (studies have shown relief from arthritis)
- Offers protection against many cancers
- Digestive aid – effective at relieving nausea and vomiting
- Antioxidant properties
- Immune booster
- Supports cardiovascular health
The base recipe isn’t as thick as most of my smoothies. To thicken, add ice, banana, or additional frozen fruit. Enjoy!
Ginger Strawberry Kombucha Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup kombucha (homemade or store bought – I like GT’s Kombucha)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds or chia seed gel
- 1/4 inch ginger, peeled and minced or 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten
- 4-6 ice cubes
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- Any other healthy ingredients or superfoods you have on hand
Place all the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth. Note, if you don’t have a very powerful blender you might want to blend everything except the coconut oil first, then drizzle it on and blend for another 5-10 seconds to avoid clumping.
- Calories: 351
- Fat: 23g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 14g
- Sugar: 9g
- Vitamin C: 103% RDA
- Folate: 35% RDA
- Calcium: 21% RDA
- Iron: 20% RDA
I’d love to know if you try this ginger strawberry kombucha smoothie – please leave a comment below. Happy Blending!